WHO DOES IT COVER?
The McKinney-Vento Act covers children and youth who do not have a fixed, adequate and regular nighttime residence, such as those living:
- in an emergency or transitional shelter;
- with friends or relatives due to loss of housing or economic hardship (also known as doubled up);
- in a motel, hotel or campground;
- in a car, bus or train station, or other public place;
- in an abandoned building, or some other inadequate accommodations; or
- in temporary situations while awaiting foster care placement.
WHO DO I CONTACT?Meagan Bender - 821-5610 ext. 2922Judy Faircloth - 821-5610 ext. 7726Marlene Kita - 821-5610 ext. 7726
WHAT SCHOOLS CAN BE CHOSEN?
You can choose from:
- the school your child attended when last permanently housed (known as the school of origin);
- the last school your child went to (also known as the school of origin); or
- the school located in the attendance area where your child is temporarily living (known as the local school).
WHAT ARE YOUR STUDENT’S RIGHTS?
Students in temporary housing have the right to:
- immediately enroll in school and attend classes;
- get free transportation to the school of origin even if it is in another district;
- get free transportation to the local school if transportation is provided to other students;
- get special education services immediately if the student has a current Individualized Education Plan (IEP) even if the IEP itself is not available or if it is from another district;
- participate in any school activity that is available to other students and get transportation to and from all before or after-school activities if it is provided to other students; and
- get free school meals without filling out an application.
DID YOU KNOW…?
If you share housing with relatives, friends or others because you lost your housing or have nowhere else to live, you may be covered under the McKinney-Vento Act. Students covered under the Act have the right to stay in the same school and get transportation to school, or immediately enroll in the local school. Speak to the liaison in your school district for more information.
FOR HELP WITH SCHOOL ENROLLMENT OR TRANSPORTATION CONTACT:Dawn Polanski - Central Registration 821-5610 ext. 7703Laura Kowalczyk - Transportation 821-5610 ext. 7768